The European Commission’s committee awarded the prestigious title of European Green Capital 2016 to Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia, since the sustainable development of the city was the most significant one in the shortest time possible. Already in 2007 with the creation of the Vision Ljubljana 2025 we have embarked on the path of sustainable city development and are pursuing set goals within its framework – ensuring quality of life for all the residents of our clean, safe, green and orderly city.
The award is of great importance to Ljubljana as it puts us on the European and global map of sustainable cities. We are marking the year with a slogan Ljubljana.Zate./Ljubljana.For you., a lovely mascot dragon Flora and with a year-round program, preparing numerous events and activities in cooperation with different stakeholders, including City of Ljubljana public institutes and companies, primary schools and kindergartens, and non-governmental organizations.
Ljubljana’s Green Topics in the Year 2016:
January: Smart waste management
February: Local self-sufficiency
March: Responsible water management
April: Quality of the acoustic environment
May: Green areas
June: Energy efficiency
July: Biodiversity and bees
August: Sustainable tourism
September: Sustainable mobility & quality of air
October: Wood – nature’s invaluable gift
November: Climate change adaption
December: Eco-innovations, green jobs & sustainable local management
Among numerous activities throughout the year we put the following into focus:
– 13 January 2016, at 17.00, residents of Ljubljana were invited to the introductory event »LJUBLJANA. Green for you.« in front of the City Hall. We’ve switched on the green light, raised the European Green Capital 2016 flag and opened an Info Point offering a diverse program for every day.
– 15 January 2016, at 14.00, opening of the photo exhibition »Ljubljana.For you.« at Krakovski nasip.
– 9 February 2016, official award of the title European Green Capital 2016 in Brussels.
– 10 March 2016, official opening ceremony of the European Green Capital 2016 in Ljubljana.
– June 2016, decision on the European Green Capital 2018 in Ljubljana.
A more detailed insight is available from the designated website at www.greenljubljana.com