In January and February, a total of 122,808 passengers travelled through Ljubljana Airport, 62% more than in the same period last year. In the summer season, that steps into effect end of March 2023, passenger numbers are expected to continue growing on account of rising demand, further improving flight occupancy, and a broader flight network.
In the summer flight schedule, valid from March 26 to October 28, 2023, 17 regular airlines will be flying to 20 destinations. In April, Finnair will be re-establishing flights to Helsinki after three years, offering four flights per week. In June, a new connection of Aegean Airlines will be welcomed, introducing two weekly flights to Athens. Carriers are announcing the following flight frequencies:
- Air Serbia twice daily to Belgrade and three times weekly to Niš,
- Aegean Airlines twice weekly to Athens,
- Brussels Airlines six times weekly to Brussels,
- flydubai daily to Dubai,
- Finnair four times weekly to Helsinki,
- Lufthansa three times daily to Frankfurt and daily to Munich,
- easyJet six times weekly to London, Gatwick,
- British Airways up to six times weekly to London Heathrow,
- Turkish Airlines up to twice daily to Istanbul,
- Wizz Air three times weekly to London, Luton,
- Transavia four times weekly to Amsterdam,
- Transavia France twice weekly to Paris, Orly,
- Air France eleven times weekly to Paris,
- Israir twice weekly to Tel Aviv,
- Air Montenegro three times weekly to Podgorica and Tivat (exchanging connections),
- LOT Polish Airlines seven times weekly to Warsaw, and
- SWISS Airlines nine times weekly to Zurich.
At the Ljubljana Airport they expect an abundant offer of charter flights in the summer season to the most popular destinations on the Greek islands, Egypt, Turkey and Spain, to where a wider offer will be available (Vittoria, Santiago di Compostela, Barcelona, Sevilla and Girona). Holiday packages with Slovenian travel agencies will be available also to Madeira, Porto, the Azores, Faroe Islands and Scotland, Iceland, Tenerife, Cape Verde islands, Cairo, Jordan, the Netherlands and Riga.
»The start of the year has been encouraging, with a significant increase in passenger traffic. The summer season will offer more destinations and flights. We are happy to soon welcome back Helsinki and Athens to be added to our flight network. These popular travel destinations also serve as important hubs and will broaden the possibilities for our passengers to continue their journeys to the Middle East and Asia. We are also excited to see the third daily flight of Lufthansa to Frankfurt and other frequency increases, which will substantially raise seat capacity on flight services from Ljubljana Airport, « said Dr Babett Stapel, managing director of Fraport Slovenija before the introduction of the summer schedule.
»We will be ready for the most traffic intense summer months. We are in the phase of employing a number of new colleagues, mostly to strengthen our teams in ramp and passenger handling. This is to enable a pleasant and seamless passenger experience also in the peak summer months. We are implementing technological novelties as well – on the passenger security check point a body scanner is already in use. This provides for higher passenger flows through the security checkpoint, increased security and a better user experience,« added Dr Stapel.